CHICKEN TINOLA RECIPE
- 1-1/2 to 2 lbs chicken (cut into serving pieces)
- 1 thumb size ginger root cut into think strips
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 small to medium sayote/chayote or green papaya (cut into wedges)
- 1 cup or more fresh pepper leaves, moringa (malunggay) or spinach
- 1 tbsp fish sauce, adjust accordingly
- 3 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1-1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- In a pot or wok, heat cooking oil. Saute’ ginger and let juice come out.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add the chicken cuts and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken colors lightly.
- Add the fish sauce. Stir to combine.
- Pour-in water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the chicken cube and sayote/chayote. Continue simmering until sayote/chayote is tender. **If using papaya, add green papaya a little earlier since papaya is firmer than chayote.
- Add the pepper leaves, spinach or malunggay.
- Cover and turn off heat.
- Best served with hot steamed rice.