- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2/3 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 strips bacon
- 1/3 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ 1 ½ cups Italian bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Salt and Pepper
- Ranch or Honey Mustard for dipping
- Take potatoes out of the fridge and let sit for a few minutes to take the chill off a bit. Meanwhile shred the cheese, chop scallions, and cook bacon then dice finely. Add potatoes and flour to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine well, then add cheese, bacon, and scallions. Take about a heaping tablespoon of mixture and roll with hands into a small ball. It if doesn’t hold its shape, add a little more flour to make the potatoes sturdy. Repeat until done.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan or use your fryer over medium/medium-high heat to about 350-375 degrees. Whisk the egg into a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Place bread crumbs in an additional bowl. Dip each ball in egg and then roll in bread crumbs until fully
- coated. Set aside on a sheet pan.
TIP: Alternatively Bake in the oven until golden brown at 350-375 degrees for a lower fat option
- Test oil with one ball. The oil should bubble when the potato is in oil and the ball should take about 1-2 minutes to brown and cook through. (If it takes longer the oil needs to be hotter if it browned too quickly on the outside and the inside is still cold, the temperature needs to be lower.) Once the oil is ready, add potato balls in small batches and fry for 1-2 minutes it will depend on size. Remove with slotted spoon and place on paper-lined plate to allow excess oil to drain off. Repeat until done.
- Allow to cool for a minute or two and serve with dipping sauce