- 6 ounces wild rice
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons salt-free seasoning blend
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 tablespoon marjoram
- 1/4 tablespoon sage
- 1/4 tablespoon rosemary
- Mix black pepper with flour in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine cubed, cooked chicken breast with chicken broth in a large pot. Once the broth starts to boil, stir in the wild rice, minced garlic, thyme, marjoram, sage and rosemary. Cover pot and remove from heat.
- Melt 12 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Add celery, carrots and onions and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add salt-free seasoning blend to the vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes, or until vegetables soften.
- Create a roux by slowly stirring in the black pepper and flour mixture into the melted butter and vegetables. Cook, stirring constantly, for another 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk cream into the roux. Cook for 5 minutes, allowing the mixture to thicken.
- Stir cream mixture into the pot containing the rice, chicken and chicken broth. Add lemon zest to mixture, if using.
- Cook for 20 minutes over medium heat until rice is completely cooked and chicken is heated through.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @mindstips on Instagram and hashtag it #mindstips